October 3, 2010

October Challenge by Karen


Posted by Picasa
Guest Design Team Member Karen submitted this layout for the October THAT Project Challenge.  She said, "In 2007, on the way home from a week-long driving vacation, I asked my husband to make a slight detour to visit the country town where my grandparents used to live. We sought out the cemetery and located their gravestones. I took some photographs, knowing that I may never visit again. The actual grave markers don't hold a lot of significance for me; I believe that once we pass on, our souls move to a better place. Memories live in our hearts and minds, not at a graveside. But somehow I thought it was important to visit and also to show my daughter the location of my grandparents' final resting place. So, I've had these photographs on my hard-drive for almost three years, not really knowing whether to scrap them or how to go about it. This challenge motivated me to print them out, and get them on a page. Because I didn't feel any deep emotional response to the visit, I also had no real compulsion to record the experience - so I kept the journalling factual.

As for "scrapping our stash" - I used a 6x6 sheet of Basic Grey 'Motifica' paperpad that has been in my collection for years and years, a journalling page fromMaking Memories, and a small strip of Cosmo Cricket from last year's 'Nutmeg'line. My scrapping tip: Dress up older papers by adding an interesting personal touch! I added some hand stitching to make the paper pop from the page, and it formed a subtle frame for the very plain photographs."

Now it's your turn to take the THAT Project Challenge.  This challenge is not limited to layouts - it can be anything that you've been putting off!  Send a picture of your project along with a description to Scrappinpsycho@live.com.  Your submission will be posted here - and you will be eligible to become a future Guest Design Team member.  See all the details below in October Challenge.

7 comments:

  1. You made such a beautifal and elegant page to commemmorate them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really did such a nice job. The layout is lovely. I love the flowers and the stitching. They really add a special touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice page, great color choice and well done on completing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is really a beautiful layout. I love how you wanted to share this with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to capture a memory. I love your journaling spot and how you used your own handwriting.

    Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! So pretty, love the stitching, ribbon and flowers! Also love how you angled your paper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think it's great that you took on the challenge. even though it may not have been an emotional visit, it's a great page to journal and pass on to the kids. love the pp you chose and how you used the yellow in the photo to make as your main color. beautiful repeat with the crochet flower.

    ReplyDelete